Dentistry is India is mostly need-based , and somewhere over time we dentists are also only looking for frank cavities and symptomatic teeth. But what about the initial stages ,where cavitation has still not taken place.
We are talking about WHITE SPOTS , FISSURAL STAINS,INITAL STAGES OF ENAMEL WEAR (WEAR FACETS)
- The WHITE SPOT lesion is not a distinct form of caries but a stage of the carious process:all the more reason for a dentist to pay attention.
- It is treatable BY NON-INVASIVE MEANS,and can be maintained in an inactive form, using products that initiate Remineralization :i.e. dental creams containing Tricalcium phosphate which forms a FLUORAPATIATE like coating on the tooth
- CAVITATION is the terminal , non-reversible end of the disease process;and can only be treated by Restorative means.
- Deep fissures in the molars , premolars and the cingulum if ignored will also inevitably lead to a carious lesion; hence should be taken care of by fissure sealants.
- WEAR FACETS if left unattended would again progress to bigger lesions: so need to be taken care of immediately.
Now when we look at a patient, if we keep all these things in mind, not only we are looking at a new dimension in planning the treatment but we are also justifying PREVENTION, NOT JUST CURE.
As dental professionals, our aim should be a disease (caries) free mouth in every patient whom we come across.